Wednesday 13 January 2010

I smell winter

Where does the time go? Despite my best intentions, my computer happily informs me that it's been 5 weeks since I last updated this blog. I blame christmas.

Anyway in the spirit of New Year's resolutions (and only about 12 days late on that, hurray!) I'm going to try and post something on here every single day. I can't promise it'll be anything special; maybe just a track I like, but at least it will be something.

From where I'm sitting I can see how cold it looks outside. I know that in other parts of the world it snows all the time, and it must seem odd to some just how much complaining England is doing about snow at the moment, but when it's like this all I want to do is curl up with a cup of tea and listen to something bright and happy. Thank goodness then for the new 'Ruby Suns' song.

I really like this band, I've got both of their previous records (presuming they have done two and I've not missed something), with 2008's 'Sea Lion' just shading it. I'm not necessarily sure how to describe the band, the last record had quite an african instrumental feel to it, but themed with electronica and symphonic pop. This new single, to these ears at least, sounds like Grizzly Bear or Animal Collective, and yet not quite. That's a terrible description isn't it? It's a great song though and everything I want this morning. It's over here on their myspace.

In a different but equally warming way, I've enjoyed the new 'Burning Hearts' single this morning too. It's called 'Night Animal' and it's being released by, the always excellent, Shelflife Records on 26th January. The song itself has a bit of a Saint Etienne feel to it, I think, which is obviously never a bad thing. You'd do well to hear it for yourself though, and you can do so by heading over to Shelflife now.

No comments:

Post a Comment